Serves: 4 sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about ½ medium)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed (or 2 ¼ cups cooked lentils)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Ac’cent flavor enhancer
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads, split open
- 1 ½ cups chopped seedless cucumber (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- In a pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper, cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Add lentils, canned tomatoes, cumin, thyme, Ac’cent and salt. Turn heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stuff each pita with the lentil mix. Layer with cucumbers and lettuce, serve.
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 5 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Sodium: 620 mg
- Carbohydrate: 58 g
- Fiber: 12 g